|Issues & Education|
International Year of Cooperatives
Read more about the International Year of Cooperatives here.
GE Alfalfa Deregulation
Some of you have read and/or heard about the USDA's decision to allow unrestricted commercial cultivation of genetically modified alfalfa, announced on Thursday, January 27, 2011.
This decision is a blow to all of us who support organic food and who submitted our comments opposing GE alfalfa to the USDA.
1. Neighborhood Co-op buyers are aware of this decision.
2. Lawsuits have already been filed protesting the decision.
3. Concerned consumers can get involved by supporting the efforts of organic food lobbying groups that are working to reverse the decision.
4. Neighborhood Co-op encourages everyone to read about this issue from a number of groups, and to support and join with one or all of them to influence Washington.
5. Of the several watchdog groups opposing GMOs in Washington, one, Organic Consumers Association, is criticizing others within the organic food movement. We encourage shoppers to read more and decide for themselves.
What You Can Do: http://s.coop/bsp
The New York Times: http://s.coop/8ra
Center for Food Safety: http://s.coop/8rd
Food Safety News: http://s.coop/8rg
The Cornucopia Institute: http://s.coop/8og